Thursday, August 23, 2007

9 Weeks to GO

So, I'm posting twice on the first day! I figure might as well jump right into the deep end! I'm training for my second marathon - the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington D.C. on October 28th! My amazing boyfriend and 4 of my awesome running club friends are also running it. It has been a tough summer of training. I bit off a sprint triathlon (last Sunday), and I am feeling some pressure of a time to beat! I also have been running consistently for 2 years now, but I'm still learning a ton! Mostly I'm learning how to keep motivated to get out that door and run. (I also am learning that I love swimming!)

A question that hovers in the background for me these last couple months is how do I repeat the fantastic experience that I had during my first marathon last year in NYC? It still makes me gush like a chatty teenage girl! I'll admit I'm scared to have a bad marathon. But I'm getting in my longs runs; it's my weekly mileage that has suffered.

Although I'm slowly gaining confidence in my training as the summer wanes. I guess you just have to put your head down, grit your teeth, and do the runs and have the faith that your plans will prepare you for those 26.2 miles. You know, I believe my Mom would call this a healthy fear. A marathon is an animal that you have to respect. One day an encounter might be full of playfulness, another wariness, and yet another full of anger and fear. But if you know all sides of the beast, you know how to tame it or attack it. That is the beauty of it I guess: the uncertainty of it all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like you have this beast all figured out.

Unknown said...

Stellar post.

Every marathon is different that the one before. (Hell every mile I run is different that the one preceeding).

You're second marathon will be awesome and a huge PR.

But I will say that you'll never forget your first time!

:)