Monday, September 24, 2007

Survivor

Well, I officially posted my worst half marathon time yesterday at the Queens Half out in College Point. The course was hilly with a turn about every 0.1 miles, seriously. But I really liked the course. I had no idea what people were talking about after the race when they were describing this nightmarishly steep hill at mile 8 or the constant "surprise" rise in elevation after yet another bend. I noticed the hills, but they didn’t daunt me. One might then ask themselves why I ran my slowest recorded half marathon if I liked the blasted route so much. The answer comes in 3 little letters: ITB.

I attempted the first of 2 planned 20 mile runs in preparation for the Marine Corps Marathon at the long training run in Central Park. Somewhere along the first loop I started feeling a semi-normal for this training season ache in my right knee. It usually disappears after running a bit or focusing on my stride, but it decided on the start of the second loop (after 6 miles) to morph into a sharp stabbing like pain that jabbed me with every step. I finished the second 5 mile loop and called it quits after consulting my running club's president for some sage advise. I was disappointed and frustrated but deep down I knew I made the right decision to ditch the 20 miles. I ran easy, very easy, iced, stretched, and foam rollered all the following week in preparation for the Queens Half.

I also prepared mentally by telling myself I can and should stop if the pain comes back or it's too achy. I have a larger training goal ahead in the 18 mile Tune-up in Central Park this coming Sunday. I need to do 20 that day! Long story short I prepped myself for a "did-not-finish" or a walk-a-thon ending in a 2 hour plus "race". I may not be that speedy, but I have taken a lot of pride in the strides I've made as a runner in 2 years, in addition to the hard work it is. I've never posted a 2 hour half; my second to worst was ironically the Queens Half last year, in April; I did a 1:55:55. The most frustrating part of it all is that I was faced with doing a 2 hour PLUS all because I've neglected stretching and that nagging ache whilst and after I run.

However, despite stopping at nearly every mile marker to stretch my poor, pathetic leg, I managed to keep a pace of 8:30 to 8:40 per mile, and it was more than comfortable. It took a little bit of stewing to realize that I didn’t “feel” the hills because I stopped so often. I also realized that by the time I made it to mile 10, my mild discomfort had not increased, in fact it had decreased at some points in those miles. In the name of conservatism, however I didn't pick up the pace or stop stretching along the course. Also at mile 10 I realized that I might just make it under 2 hours! Barely. I stopped at 11 for a quick stretch, and when I was cruising through mile 12 a glance at my watch told me that if I stopped now my NYRR record would forever record 2... I kept on chugging and even picked up the pace slightly. I ended up finishing at 1:59:42! And you know what? My ITB survived. And so did my record!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to hang tough Jessica!! Here's to the 18 miler plus on Sunday.

Unknown said...

You have to be able to adjust your run/race plans to accommodate other factors.

Remember: We plan, God laughs