Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Cheers to Recovery Beers!

Ok, so I've had a tough time this marathon training season finding the motivation to fit in my weekly miles. Getting over the first 3 miles or so of a workout is a gigantic accomplishment these days. But there is one tiny bit of motivation (outside of the fear discussed in my 2nd post) that seems to help me get these exhausting long runs completed: the promise of BEER.
E-man (the boy-toy) and I seem to have fallen into a habit of running ridiculous miles then hopping right into a marathon drinking situation. This may seem like we have a problem, but we don't. Honest! We have had a relatively busy social calendar this summer with parties and bbq's and championship hurling games. But we marked on the calendar our key runs, and we've stuck to them despite these social "obligations". (Life is so tough sometimes!)

The promise of relaxing later on a Saturday afternoon/evening with friends and a frosty brew is HUGE at 6 AM or earlier after a long week of work and running! It's like ripping off a bandaid. There is a lot of fanfare and dancing around mustering up the courage, then yank! And it's over. There might be some residual stinging, but eventually it dulls and you get a lollipop or an ice cream (or at least I did sometimes growing up). So beer is my lollipop.

Actually the relaxtion and laughs could be my lollipop; beer is a bonus. It just so happens, coincindentally, that beer has a lot of good stuff for runners to replenish what they've lost running. OK!?!? I don't have a problem! (Note: Mojitos are also highly motivating!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Margaritas also speed post workout recovery. Particularly when consumed "on the rocks with salt."

Anonymous said...

I really like the sound of recovery Mojitos!